Sailing in Cornwall
Sailing - North Cornwall Coast: PADSTOW
| NEWQUAY | PORTREATH
THE EAST COAST
Torpoint Marina stands just inside the western bank of the River Tamar, facing Plymouth's great naval dockyard. Although not a holiday resort, its situation makes it a natural centre for sailing as well as for sea and river angling.
The town itself has no harbour as such, but the 200-year-old Ballast Pound, a scheduled ancient monument, has been developed into a yachting harbour capable of accommodating up to 100 craft - forming Torpoint Marina.
The Ballast Pound is a square tidal harbour on the foreshore, 3 miles from the breakwater. Built by the Navy Board in 1784 as a shelter for ballast barges which served the sailing ships of that day, it consists of four 240ft walls enclosing 1.25 acres of water. Access to the river can be gained at every tide through a 35ft entrance on the seaward side.
The River Tamar itself is navigable well past the ancient town of Saltash where the twin Tamar and Royal Albert Bridges span the river between Cornwall and Devon. Just beyond the town the St. Germans (or Lynher) River branches off west to St. Germans, Cornwall's ecclesiastical capital, offering a further 5 miles of creeks and tributaries. Outside the breakwater, there are anchorages off Kingsand and Cawsand for those not wanting to venture upriver.
Ballast Pound is well sheltered and the channel has been dredged to 6ft below chart datum and is accessible at all states of the tide.
Pontoon moorings on deep water are available as well as quayside moorings for vessels able to take the ground.
The Trot moorings along the North side of Mount Edgcumbe offer an idyllic and relaxing setting
Normal charter pilotage from Plymouth breakwater, through the narrows, to west bank of River Tamar, Ballast Pound quarter of a mile downstream from chain ferry. Bearing 31 0°T from Battery Buoy in the narrows.